Although I had often grown it in my garden and incorporated the fresh herb in my recipes, I had never considered the possibility or the power or Oregano oil for health and Wellness.
Not only is this oil effective in it’s qualities for wellness it is inexpensive and can be used in a variety of ways, much like lemon oil or even lavender oil.
History of Oregano Oil
It was widely used in ancient times, although oregano il didn’t make its North American debut until the early 20th century. Hippocrates wrote extensively about the oil of wild oregano, claiming it as a cure for digestive ailments, skin conditions and respiratory diseases. There is also evidence that in ancient Greece, oregano oil was used for the treatment of headaches, wounds, snakebites, spider bites and even the common cold.
In more modern times, oregano oil is considered to be antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-allergenic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-parasitic. Perhaps most notable, oregano essential oil is an anti-microbial with a demonstrated ability to inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi.
Very Important to Note
Oregano oil is considered a hot oil. What this means is that it can burn or cause some irritation with used directly. This is why it is often recommended to dilute. Other hot oils include Cinnamon, Clove, and Thyme. When using Oregano oil “neat” (undiluted) apply carefully with a q-tip only to the affected area and do not spread beyond it. For most applications, my recommendation is that is should be diluted for all but spot treatment (such as warts and skin tags).
Therapeutic use of oregano oils should also be avoided on infants, children and pregnant or nursing women. Also as we age our skin gets thinner and more fragile, so always dilute when applying to the elderly. That is not to say that some bad will happen but that to be safe, the use of oregano oil should be carefully used and should be avoided to those at risk without first consulting a qualified professional.
Carrier Oils and Dilution
In order to effectively use essential oils, it is often necessary and recommended to dilute them in another oil so that they can be easily spread or massaged on a affected area. This dilution in no way weakens to efficacy of a quality grade Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oil, but it slow the absorption rate down through the skin so the parasympathetic nervous system doesn’t trigger a reaction to the properties of the oil.
Most common carrier oil includes coconut oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, and a natural salve which can be prepared and applied. The nut oils mentioned above are the most common and most effective although in theory, any vegetable oil or lotion could also be used, but the molecules will not be as easily absorbed by the skin and a store bought lotion may have other preservatives and contaminants in them. I use coconut oil and fractionated coconut oil (liquefied) most often.
I often follow the chart above in different applications but this is a good reference to use depending on the amount that I am mixing up and for who will be using it. The smaller percentage of dilution would be for more sensitive skin or long term use.
With all of that in mind, it isn’t too far fetched to consider all of the supporting properties it can offer. Here are 20 of my favorite uses for Oregano Essential Oil…
- Warts, Moles, and Skin Tags: Apply one drop morning and night using a q-tip applied to the affected spot (not the whole area). Keep at it and within a few weeks, the warts/mole/tag will shrink and flake or slough off in the shower. Another way to would be to add a mixture of oregano oil and fractionated coconut oil to a roller ball bottle (50:50), and apply twice daily until they are gone. *I personally add several drops of Melissa essential oil to the 50:50 blend mentioned above, as Melissa oil is also very very effective, smells nicer, but is more costly.
- Athlete’s Foot: Dilute in a carrier oil and apply directly 2-3 times a day. You can also add a few drops to baking soda to sprinkle inside your shoes to absorb moisture and offer added protection. Nail Fungus: using a roller ball bottle or eye dropper bottle, apply a diluted oregano oil and coconut oil (see above dilution chart) directly onto clean nail beds and work into cuticles.
- Skin Infections: Dilute in coconut oil and apply topically to boost the healing of the skin infection. Psoriasis: Mix with a carrier oil or salve and apply topically twice a day. There is also some medical evidence that drinking a glass of water twice daily with 2-6 drops of Oregano oil added helps with symptoms of psoriasis. Eczema: Blending oregano oil with a carrier oil or salve and apply it topically to help control eczema.
- Fight Infection: Rub a few drops of oregano oil into your gums to fight an infection
- DIY Hand Sanitizer: Combine 10 drops of oregano oil with two tablespoons of coconut oil. Rib it into your hands as a natural hand sanitizer.
- Control Itching: Apply diluted oregano oil to insect bites and skin rashes to relieve itching
- Sickness and Flu: Diffuse Oregano essential oil in your diffuser to help quickly get rid of the flu or any other sickness.
- Sinus infections and colds: Place a few drops of oregano oil in a pot of steaming water. Carefully inhale the steam, being careful not to get burned. You can also dilute in carrier oil then place under the nostrils to provide additional relieve for sinus infections. I have a diluted dose (50:50) with coconut oil in a roller ball bottle to apply around the ear for ear aches
- Congestion: Dilute in your favorite carrier oil or lotion and apply to the chest area. For nasal congestion, try adding one or two drops of oregano essential oil on a clean handkerchief and inhale the vapor.
- Sore Throat: To ease the scratchy feeling of a sore throat, simply add on or two drops of oregano essential oil to a glass of juice and drink it. (oregano is considered a hot oil so use caution)
- Dandruff: Add a few drop to your regular shampoo being mindful to keep it from washing into your eyes during the rinse.
- Relieve Sore Muscles and Joints: Dilute in carrier oil or lotion then gently massage on the affected area. Repeat up to three times a day. Arthritis: Dilute in a carrier oil and rub onto painful joints to reduce swelling.
- Treat Parasites: Combine 1 drop of oregano oil with 1 drop of a carrier oil. Place under the tongue and hold it for a few minutes before rinsing the mouth with water. Repeat up to four times a day. Ringworm: To kill ringworm, apply 2-6 drop of oregano oil to the effected area.
- Acne: Dip a Q-tip into the oil and apply directly to acne. The oil will kill the bacteria and reduce the inflammation. For the very bast results, do this twice a day morning and night immediately after washing the face.
- Mouthwash: add a few drop to a glass of water to sweeten your breath and kill bacteria that can lead to gum disease and gingivitis.
- Cleaning Supplies: Add a few drops to your DIY cleaning supplies to give them an antiseptic and disinfectant boost. This is especially effective in the kitchen, bathroom and at the baby’s changing table. Laundry: Add a few drops to your load of laundry to kill bacteria or parasites and also to leave your clothes smelling nice and fresh.
- Fungus and Mold: Mix with water and spray the shower to prevent fungus and mold from growing. This also works in other warm, humid areas of your home. I use it on the front seals of my front load clothes washing machine.
- Natural Insect Repellent: Mix a few drops in a carrier oil or salve and rub over your skin to repel insects. You can also mix oregano oil with water in a spray bottle to create your own insect spray. Be sure to shake it up before using since the oil will separate a bit in the water.
- Diaper Rash: Mix with coconut oil or salve to sooth and balance skin reaction with diaper rash.
Part Number: 30180001
Size: 15 mL
Wholesale Members order through your login
Where to Purchase Certified Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are becoming more and more popular and there are many suppliers who without regulation are trying to capture their piece of the pie. We personally trust in the direct purchasing and integrity of the largest provider in the market today.
doTERRA is a wholesale club provider of co-impacted sourced essential oils. Smaller companies who source their oils or botanical material on a smaller scale, may not have the resources or order commitments to secure long term commitments, quality assurances, and consistency. doTERRA has partnered with growers and harvesters and distillers in 46 countries and has a 84% exclusive contract with what has been determined to be the best quality oil for therapeutic use in the world. You can find some oils cheaper, but as the story goes you get what you pay for. And without regulatory monitoring just because a company claims that the bottle contains pure essential oil, it doesn’t mean that what is in the bottle hasn’t been diluted or contaminated with other cheaper oils or adulterants (used by the perfume industry for years) to enhance the aroma.
doTERRA’s oils are only guaranteed when purchased directly from the company through you own wholesale membership (Only $35 for the first year). Purchasing doTERRA’s branded products online through other commercial parties like Amazon or Walmart or Ebay will not insure the purity of the oil.
One of the many benefits of having your own account will be the confidence of knowing the product is the best quality, the best customer service team in the industry, and the support of your team. doTERRA’s direct sales Network Marketing approach to marketing means that you will have the help and support from the helped enroll you in your membership. We would be honored to have you join our team.
If you are ready to become a Wholesale Customer or Wellness Advocate and join our business team, both offer all of the support and community to help you on your wellness journey. Join & Save Now Be Healthy, Happy, and Strong! – Jen & Joe