Making lip balm can be simple! Try this easy DIY lip balm that is moisturizing and healthy for your lips. And my husband loves them too!
1 ounce beeswax
1 ounce coconut oil
½ ounce shea butter
½ ounce cocoa butter
20 drops Peppermint oil
10 drops Lavender oil
You will also need about 20 Lip Gloss Containers or Lip Balm Dispensers for this.
Note: This recipe makes three ounces of lip balm, so make sure you have enough containers. This recipe will make 20 lip balm dispenser tubes. You can always reduce the batch size by cutting the recipe in half.
I find when I sit down with friends we like to only make a couple so you can adjust the recipe to make more or less.
- Line up empty containers. If using a lip balm stick, make sure it has been twisted down.
- Measure butters and oils and place in glass jar (or a small glass measuring cup).
- Fill a large saucepan with one to one and a half inches of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add glass jar to center of saucepan. Or you can place jar/measuring cup in the microwave oven for 1 min. intervals.
- Stir every few minutes until ingredients are melted and combined.
- Once wax is melted, remove from heat and let sit for three minutes to cool down then add essential oils.
- Pour mixture into lip balm containers and let cool.
WANT A TINT OF COLOR? Add a pinch of colored mineral makeup until you get your desired color. Stir until combined.
Pour tinted lip balm into containers and let cool.
Here is another fun recipe using Koolaide for coloring.
And another natural recipe which has similar ingredients. Why you ask? Well you just need to understand this isn’t a complicated recipe and anyone can make these at home with these simple ingredients and of course we only recommend doTERRA essential oils for consistent quality.
NOTE FOR SAFETY: DO NOT USE CITRUS OILS IN THESE. You lips will always be exposed to the UV light (unless you live in a cave) and Citrus oils are photosensitive, even if diluted I would not want anyone to get sun burned from wearing a chapstick made with citrus essential oils.
Do you want to make only ONE !?
Ingredients for only One Lip Balm:
• ¼ tsp beeswax
• ¼ tsp carrier oil like coconut oil, sweet almond, etc.
• ½ tsp pure shea butter
• 2 drops of essential oil like lavender, peppermint, vanilla, geranium, green mandarin, etc. (avoid using phototoxic citrus essential oils like lemon, lime, grapefruit, bergamot, etc.)
• 1 empty lip balm tube
• A small pyrex measuring cup
• A small spatula
• A kitchen towel
You can also do a simpler version of ¼ tsp beeswax and ¾ tsp of carrier oil. All you have to remember is that the wax to oil ratio is 1:3.
1. Measure out your wax, shea butter, and carrier oil and add them to the pyrex measuring cup.
2. Fill a sauce pan about an inch of water and then place the pyrex measuring cup to the pan.
3. Bring the water to a boil and wait for the ingredients to melt completely, stirring on occasion to mix.
4. Prepare your lip balm tube (I usually place something underneath it the capture any spills).
5. Once the ingredients have melted, remove from the water bath and place the pyrex on a folded towel to prevent the contents from cooling too quickly.
6. Add your essential oil and stir to mix.
7. Carefully fill your lip balm tube to the top and let it cool completely before capping. Use the spatula to help scrape the melted ingredients from the sides if needed.
8. Wipe the outside of the tube to remove any oils and then label it.
9. Enjoy your singular tube of lip balm!
EASIER, just add the wax, shea butter, and carrier oil to a pyrex measuring cup and pop it in the microwave for 10-15 second increments until completely melted. Add your EOs, mix, and pour.
Tip: If you want a harder lip balm, add an additional half ounce of beeswax. For an even softer lip balm, add an additional half ounce of coconut oil. This lip balm makes a great gift and can easily be customized. Change the color or the scent by using a variety of mineral makeup and essential oils. If you don’t have time to make your own lip balm then try one of the doTERRA SPA Lip Balm flavors.
You must be logged in to post a comment.